Monday, September 29, 2008

The end of the mainland, movement to the colony

Well, sorry for being so slack on the blog. Got a million things going on with the internship. Trying to stay on top of the work and my project and still have time to see the island and stay in touch with everyone. I hope this excuses my slack contact etc. In a week we are leaving for the remote hana coast of Maui where the farm I am designing is located. But more on that latter. This posting will be extra big. Don't blow all of your procrastination options at once :)

So, leaving Crestone. I spent my last day wandering around town and checking out the op-shop, the free box (a huge walk in wooden box with free stuff, the uber op shop) and some boutiques etc. I went back to Mark's house and packed all my gear up. He got off work early and came to take me to Alamosa. After we loaded my stuff in his car we went to complete the final phase of my American adventure, shooting a gun.

Mark's girlfriend, a young irish american from the country, had left her smith & wesson with mark so I could fire off a couple of rounds. We went out the back and shot cans on the fence. It was supprisingly normal. I had thought shooting a gun would be a huge rush or fill me with philasophical inquiry. Nope. It was just loud and not once did I hit the can.

Mark drove me back to Alamosa and we listened to x-clan and shot the shit. The bus ride back was uneventful. The bus driver was texan and kept cracking jokes. I spent a final night in star ship nunu as Stella's house was known but arrived late and left early for the California Zephyr.

The train was really cool. I am so glad I didn't fly. Firstly, the train was filled with menonites in bonnets and braces. They wouldn't talk to me but. I spent most of the 38hr trip in the observation car looking at the rocky mountains and the utah desert. I met a whole host of characters including the roadie for the only metal band in utah (his story, not mine). I can only remember his nickname "Catbox". The band was called Tempered Steel. He told me he had found secret temples in the desert after god talked to him and once he got some sort of disability payout he would go get it and be rich. I ate meals in the dining car too which was an experiance. The food was passable and you never knew who they would sit you with.

I arrived in San Fran on Thursday evening with no accomadation and ended up in SOMA in a place called the European Guesthouse run by a fijian indian women. I spent the next three nights here. I went and caught a bluegrass show with sam bush and ate good bad mexican food. Then I bought a bike off a crack head and rode up to North Beach to see the sights and explore the city.

Friday I just cruised all over town on the bike. Went deep into Golden Gate park and across the bridge etc. Had excellent indian food for dinner and caught an afterburn party with three levels of music. Dubstep in teh basement, tech-glich on the midfloor and drum and bass in the attic. Little wild, too crowded and overall too housey and not trible enough.

Saturday I went to Michael Franti's power to the peaceful concert. He played, as did Damien Marley and some other rootsy music. However, I couldn't pull myself from the dance stage. It had been too long since I had had a long dance in the sunshine and even though the music wasn't right up my alley I squelched across the dancefloor like the stoned Australian I was. Had dinner in Northbeach, amazing Italian food and then went to bed early for the flight in the morning.

Flight was uneventful and average. I got my bike and computer and had like a 4 hour layover. Lea from the gardens picked me up and I arrived at Theobold house, which is holding the 9 interns for the next 3 months.

Harris - living outside in a structure called the weatherport. I get more room than anyone but have to walk to the house. Have a hammock to sleep in and a yoga space and two tea chests for all my stuff.

Megan - our "Head" intern. She is the sister of one of the education co-ordinators and is from Minasota. She is studing social work and jsut spent 2 years in Malawi with the peace core. She is supposed to keep us in order and resolve our differences.

Amanda - a mormon form Idaho. She's done conservation and stuff in Hawaii since March. She has a biology degree of some description.

Lindsey - another sister of a girl on the selection commitie. She is a "Jack" mormon which is a mormon who gave up. She's from Utah but has been in Denver for the past 5 years. Loves to swear and say things are awesome. She listens to alot of Bob Marley. She studies Journalism.

Torrey- a fellow biologist, from Santa Cruz in California. Graduated a few years ago and has been working for the state and then up in Alaska for 4 months with the innuete. She is as jaded and cynical about conservation and this country as I am. Well maybe not quite as much.

Bevan - the son of the dirrector of the US botanic gardens. He studied economics at college and seems like a nice guy

Patrick - a college student from Florida. Wants to help golf courses conserve water and told me jet skiing is the greatest activity possible.

Van Ray- my saviour and the greatest man on earth. Van is from Belau near micronesia and is self-professed "Homegrown". He works for the Belau national museum and assists on field trips in Belau. He fucking rules. He taught me how to make Belauan chicken traps and we caught and cooked 2. We chews bettle nut all the time and tells me I am the man. He loves reggae and cooks a mean asian soup and is teaching me to make Kim Chi. I am going to go visit him when I'm done in Hawaii.

So this is our cohort. All blogged out so no Hawaiian adventures for you yet. Some time this week I will post the highlights of my first 4 weeks before heading off to maui for two weeks to work in the gardens there and better implement my farm plan.

Blog Love
Peace
Harris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home