Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Christmas to 29th

Arrived at Sharrons smelly and wet. It was christmas eve. I washed all my clothes and myself an did some cyber errands. Was Christmas in Australia so talked to both my families between the air. It rained all day so we listened to music and talked story. Dennise came over later on and we had dinner and watched a movie in what they termed a slumber party. They were old new age women but were not totally on it. Dennise said she wa abducted by aliens, she was from Ohio. Sharron was not aducted by aliens but a character none the less.

Christmas breakfast I went and got some bagles from the only open Cafe in Hilo, Hilo is fairly rundown since sugar died and all the shops and in stripmalls by the highway not the town center. Sheltered from the rain which was getting torrential. At 6pm I set off again with my bike and stuff for the Dements for Christmas dinner. They were a nice enought family. I had a shower and shared their food, we didn't have much in common. Their son in law told me how to hike to the lava flow and I was beat so went to bed early.

Boxingday it rained and rained and rained. Bill gave me a ride to Pahoa where the farmstay guy was gonna pick me up. He did, he was a loose unit. Ed Frazer. His place was overgrown, he farmed nothing and the digs were abysmall. I had no options due to the rain and stayed on a tent platform. There was an old retired aircraft mechanic who had been in jail and had moved to Hawaii to be homeless and try and eat fruit. He ended up at this guys place sleeping in a bus. And a loose guy from South Carolina, with a net of dreads and beard. His name was Ryan. Fred Razer said he let him stay around so that someone was watching the place. Nothing could be grown, the place was like a junkyard. I rode around for 2 days with occational rain and read my book. I missed home and my friends and family. I was eatting out in Pahoa town just to be doing something. It was a weird period. I called my family for conversation and good vibes. I tried to reach some friends but phones were not answered. I cheered up though and then rode back to the hostel. The next day I rode out to the lava flow and set up camp.

At 4am I headed across the lava flow out to the molten rock hitting the ocean. It was small kind from far off but clamboring past the baricades to the shelf I headed over the rocks. I can not explain in words seeing hot lava pour into the sea, there were fountins, I was warm, one near molten rock landed near some french guys, when the rocks hit the sea they floated for a while because they were so hot. I stayed out and watched it spew steam and rocks into the sea until 7am when I headed back to camp for an hours nap and then packed up on the bike to ride to Pahoa. I warmed up with strong coffees and a muffin at the coffee shop and booked things on the internet. I turned my phone on and a hawaiian friend wanted me to help him move house for a couple of days so I headed over to his place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home