Thursday, December 15, 2005

self indulgence and the end






Sorry about that long winded self-indulgent post about life after Alice. I'll summarise what it said: Left Alice, went North, Went Troppo, Went to Kakadu. But I guess my blog can be a little self-indulgent but only enought so you guys keep reading

Now the weirdness that I aluded to. After leaving Kakadu we went to Lok-Cobay. Lok-Cobay is a 600sq km patch of land south of Darwin which is the home of Jess's friend, the tradtional owner of the land.

As we arrive a purple lightning storm was raging and we were listening to the roots. We pulled in and made dinner and watched the bolts rip through the night sky. The owner had a million stories and so we sat around in his house (a converted kit home with an out-door barrel toilet and no lights or water).

Over the next two days (one of which included my hideious consumption of coffe) we played UNO, hung out with members of the Warumpi band (ask your parents or someone whose heyday was in the 80's, learned to harvest sugar plums, learned tradtional pandanus weaving , used the web, played playstation, WATCHED AUSTAR. The surreal combination of the modern outback spun me out. While I was in the process of spinning out, We were informed of "The Stromatolites". We walked out, thanked the spirits of the land and then wham - the objects. They were absolutly crazy, google them, they are some of teh oldest living organisms on the planet and formed these huge structures by the same process as coral forms.

We then went to Litchfield National Park and had a day of walks, sunshine and plunge pools and nature springs (we swum dispite the croc and flood warnings becuase it was so stinking hot. That night after eggs and rice for dinner, Jess and I had a DOOF becuause we were the only people at the campground. I huge column of bats rose up at dusk, flying across the full moon.

When I got up it was raining and 6am and I had to call home to wish my dad a happy birthday. I got devoured by mossquitos. Jess and I then checked out an old tin mine and headed back to Batcholar to go get ear anti-biotics from the medical centre. Our ears have healed up now. We spent the afternoon at a butterfly farm where a guy with a thick geordy accent served us beer and chips and curry in a faux thai bungalo as Bob Dylan played through the speakers and we played scrable and R. crumb comics. Another weird combination to say the least. We are now heading to Darwin where we will get some shit done and simultaeously kick back and kick off. Then we fly to Brisbane and the North Coast and a Doof and Woodford. Then we go back to Darwin and start down the west coast.

Stay well my friends. And if your not well, think of my smiling face (or anything else that makes you equally or more happy) and get well.

DHP

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post those pictures! You must look mad!
For some reason, I can picture you perfectly on the road in some whacked out part of Australia. Hope you're having a brillo time,
B

7:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man,
Been following the whole way, and the trip sounds incredible. Glad your tropical ear has cleared up, too (funny, after years in the tropics, I've never heard of it... what's the cause?)
Things are samey down here, found a house to live in next year (though its due to be condemned). Anyway, you're both invited to come and graffitti/stencil/paint it before we move out, I'm going to try and get everyone around, if we're allowed.
Enjoy the rest of the trip, and say hi to Jess for me. I'm goddamn jealous.
Henry

2:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home